Manager Product Development
Viking is a strong and dynamic company – with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world. In 2022, our guests will experience all the comfort and elegance of our award-winning fleet with two expedition ships built specifically to explore the world’s most remote destinations. We will also expand our operations to the U.S. with the addition of a new Mississippi River ship.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
As a member of the Product Development Team, a Manager Product Development creates a variety of shore experiences ranging from a few hours to several days, for all ports in a specific region of the world. They define each excursion, provide the needed details to the team’s copy writers, help with the marketing positioning of the entire range of activities selected for each port and determine the right mix of inventory for the ship’s guests, with the aim to optimize choice, quality and revenue.
The Manager Product Development supports the ships’ on-board teams and local vendors in the efficient execution of the shore programs and provides assistance in training of staff and problem resolution.
Travel within this position is around 30% worldwide.
This role is based in our Operational Headquarters in Basel, Switzerland. Please note that we can only accept applicants who are eligible to work in Switzerland or in possession of a valid work permit.
- Develop and implement new shore excursions and extensions
- Successfully create tailor-made privileged access tours, build shore excursions portfolios and itineraries from scratch, following Viking cruises’ itineraries
- Fine-tune existing shore excursions and pre & post extensions to exceed guests’ expectations and increase Viking’s competitiveness in the market for the Northern Europe, Scandinavia, Iceland & UK regions
- Leading negotiations with vendors/ suppliers to obtain the best possible quotes
- Maintain revenue/ profit targets without compromising Viking’s assigned budget and quality of the tours
- Guide and support the logistics of Viking’s staff members during the execution of the shore excursions
- Cooperate with vendors to fully support Viking’s operations of the shore excursions
- At least 20 years’ experience in the travel & hospitality industry, with a proven track record of providing high-quality learning travel experiences
- Comprehensive general education and extensive knowledge of geography, history, natural history, culture and current affairs of the core product area (Northern Europe and Scandinavia). A background experience as a Guide is advantageous
- Having a network of contacts (suppliers, vendors) in the Northern European region is a big plus
- Fluency in Russian and in English are a must. An intermediate level of German and basic Spanish are preferred
- Extensive user experience of MXP
- Very good command of the Microsoft Office package
- Significant experience and proven track record of managing logistics and overseeing budgets
- Excellent creative and conceptual skills in developing new products
- Must be able to work well under pressure; be a natural problem-solver with a creative mindset; bring a well-developed sense of quality in delivery; ability to work in a fast-paced environment and function effectively within a diverse, international group of colleagues
WHAT WE OFFER
- Employee restaurant (including free soft drinks, juices and coffee)
- Regular company events, such as sports games, BBQ, cooking classes
- Flexible working hours
- Various discounts (e.g. for sports memberships and cultural events)
- A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
- A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
- A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
If you are interested in this role, please apply via our website, including a cover letter (one page, introducing yourself and outlining why you are interested in the role) as well as your CV in English and relevant references.
To apply for this job please visit www.vikingcareers.com.