Internship – Corporate Governance Data Procurement
Let’s be #BrilliantTogether
ISS empowers investors and companies to build for long-term and sustainable growth by providing high-quality data, analytics, and insight. We are committed to positively impacting the environment and society through our market-leading solutions and leading by example. Our clients have long turned to ISS to apply their corporate governance views, identify environmental, social, and governance risks, and manage their global proxy voting needs.
Need a refresher on what Corporate Governance and Proxy Voting are?
- Corporate governance is the system by which companies are directed and controlled. Boards of directors are responsible for the governance of their companies. The shareholders’ role in governance is developing continuously with investors increasingly acting as responsible stewards and taking into account a wide range of ESG topics. This may include consideration such as the appointment of directors, approving executive remuneration schemes, M&A, and considerations of companies' climate transition plans.
- Shareholders are invited by public companies they have shares in to vote on a wide range of topics during annual general meetings. They can delegate their voting power to a representative, who will then be considered a proxy. Here at ISS, we provide the research, insight and recommendations for our clients to make informed voting decisions.
Enter the world of corporate governance and responsible investment and jumpstart your career by gaining exposure to the fundamental affairs of businesses and economies on a global scale.
What You Will Do
ISS seeks a pool of talented and self-motivated data collection interns for February 2024. The internship will take place during “proxy voting season.” Our goal is to support our clients in making informed voting decisions on that occasion.
As a Corporate Governance Data Procurement Intern, you will become an integral part of the team with the crucial role of collecting and processing data on shareholder meetings of listed companies. The data compiled notably includes shareholder meeting agendas, proxy voting cards and voting analytics which you are expected to translate into a meaningful format for ISS clients.
Your Responsibilities Will Include
- Procuring shareholder meeting materials (agendas, proxy cards, annual reports) from publicly traded companies and processing the meeting information in our bespoke software.
- Procuring voting results from annual general meetings and entering them into our bespoke software.
- Processing the procured meeting material report data into a standard format for our clients in English.
- Communicating with listed companies to collect relevant proxy season information.
- Acting as a support for all other internal departments with regards to all questions related to companies, shareholder meetings etc.
What You Will Bring To ISS
- Fluent in English (both spoken and written).
- A minimum one of the following languages to a native standard: Dutch, French, German, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Russian (Polish is a plus).
- A relevant Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Economics, Business, Finance, or in the process of obtaining such a degree.
- A good eye for detail.
- A strong analytical ability, numeracy, strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to assimilate large quantities of information, work independently and take initiative while also being a team player.
- An organized and structured mind.
But above all else we are most interested in the things that make you, you. The unique personal qualities, extracurricular activities and accomplishments that show who you are as a person and what value you could bring to the team.
What You Will Gain From This Internship
- Develop a deeper understanding of relevant technical terminology within the world of corporate governance and responsible investment.
- Receive in-depth training to fulfill your career aspirations.
- Expand your know-how and contribute significantly to client work.
- Make a difference and perform in a workplace of integrity and transparency.
This internship is remunerated (2087€ gross per month + additional benefits) and will run for 5 months starting in February 2024. Interns are required to work from the ISS office 5 days a week and must be based in the country of employment from Day 1 of the internship.
Interested in this great learning opportunity?
Apply online by sending your CV in English along with a one-page cover letter. The cover letter should explain why you are interested in corporate governance, in joining ISS and why you are suitable for the role.
Please note that due to the great number of applications we receive, we can only respond to selected candidates.
To all recruitment agencies: ISS does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any ISS employee, location, or website. ISS is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
What You Can Expect From Us
Our people are the moving force behind ISS. We are dedicated to hiring the best, most talented people in our industry and empowering them with the resources and support to enhance their career, health, financial and personal well-being.
We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We are invested in our people and are working every day to ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Let’s empower, collaborate, and inspire one another.
Let’s be #BrilliantTogether.
ISS empowers investors and companies to build for long-term and sustainable growth by providing high-quality data, analytics, and insight. We are committed to positively impacting the environment and society through our market-leading solutions and leading by example.
Visit our website: https://www.issgovernance.com
View additional open roles: https://www.issgovernance.com/join-the-iss-team/
Institutional Shareholder Services (“ISS”) is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination or harassment against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, creed, religion, sex, age, height, weight, citizenship status, national origin, social origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy status, marital status, familial status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, military service or status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as “protected status”). All activities including, but not limited to, recruiting and hiring, recruitment advertising, promotions, performance appraisals, training, job assignments, compensation, demotions, transfers, terminations (including layoffs), benefits, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, are and will be administered on a non-discriminatory basis, consistent with all applicable federal, state, and local requirements.