Role: German Translator
Duration: Long Term
Please note this is a Junior - level role.
Translates source documents from German to US English as required by the organization. Documents include, but are not limited to, repair manuals, owner’s manuals, vehicle display texts, vehicle diagnostic program content, software interfaces and content, presentations, e-mails and miscellaneous documents.
Implements US/Canadian market-specific language, terminology and content requirements (e.g.: electrical component names, special tools etc.), and adheres to VWAG worldwide standards, VWGoA style specifications and specified deadlines.
Monitors and improves the scope, quality, accuracy and effectiveness of existing technical information. Consults with technical experts, and suggests and implements any necessary corrections, omissions and enhancements to translated content.
Assists with maintenance of translation memory and terminology databases to ensure accuracy of translations.
Assists with coordination/management of translation projects and processes.
• Translates documents and ensures translation is accurate, relevant and used appropriately in context. Works with technical experts and on-car validation to resolve questions and ensure accuracy of translations.
• Performs required quality checks on translated documents. Checks and corrects formatting of translated documents when necessary.
• Receives feedback on translations from translation team, editing teams, technicians/customers, other departments and factories and implements feedback in translation projects.
• Supports management with research, benchmarking, and data inquiries as necessary.
• Applies technical writing skills and any automotive service, engineering and troubleshooting experience when translating. Is familiar with and applies terminology used by the US/Canadian automotive service environment, SAE J1930, the VW AG US English electrical components list and the VWGoA tools and equipment list.
• Updates translation memory databases (TMs), which contain translated sentences for reuse, with new translated content. Submits suggested corrections for approval, makes corrections in TMs and performs maintenance tasks.
• Submits requests for new content or changes in terminology databases according to established terminology processes within the team. Assists with maintenance of terminology databases.
• Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency and completes assigned tasks within specified deadlines. Communicates in a timely manner if deadlines will be difficult to meet.
• Adapts to changes in deadlines and translation/editing processes. Generates and implements ideas for process improvements.
• Manages translation projects, including receiving files, preparing, assigning, performing quality checks and delivering. Outsources projects to translation vendor when required, and monitors vendor’s progress and assists with inquiries.
• Tracks all projects translated and/or managed according to established processes and conventions. Ensures tracking sheets are up-to-date and correct at all times so that accurate translation reports can be generated.
• Learns and adapts to new software and processes and assists with the training of other team members. Completes additional training courses for translation software, product knowledge and employee enrichment when possible.
• Troubleshoots software and hardware issues, generates possible solutions. Works with SDL software support and VW IT department to resolve issues when needed. Assists other team members with troubleshooting and issue resolution.
• 5 years proficiency with German language, both written and spoken.
• 3 years translation experience
• Strong proficiency in English and German language, grammar and writing skills
• Automotive system knowledge
• Good understanding of automotive technical terms and processes
• Electronic publishing and/or technical writing experience
• Strong project management and planning skills
• Strong organizational skills / ability to multi-task
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• SDL Trados translation software experience (SDL Trados Studio 2017 or newer)
• SGML/XML/Arbor Text experience
• Automotive service experience (VW and/or Audi experience beneficial)
• Extensive publishing and/or technical writing experience
• Database / content management experience
• Experience developing and writing process documentation and business requirement documentation
• Project management
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in German Language
• • Training or equivalent experience in SDL Trados Suite / Microsoft Office Suite / Windows / XML
To apply for this job please visit LinkedIn.